Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Karmic Payback at the Gym

Just the other day I was telling my friends Lori and Matt that I hadn't had a migraine in about eight months.

If you are laughing then you understand how freaking stupid it was of me to say something like that out loud.

I went to my workout today for the first time in about three weeks. Shameful, I know, but I have been insanely busy with the beginning of preschool. (Don't even ask me why I volunteered to be on the board. I must have been temporarily insane.)

Vionna had Devra and I doing our rounds (rows, riverdance*, push-ups, some evil abs exercise involving a giant ball, and a squad thing with weights - damn. I'm articulate. I should be a writer or something.) and I started seeing spots.

I have to admit, the first thing that occurred to me was that I was so out of shape (I haven't even thought about exercising in two weeks. Well, no I've thought about it, I just haven't done it.) I was having some sort of blood pressure related issue. Maybe I was going to pass out.

Then I realized I felt fine (or as fine as one can feel while doing push-ups) and I recognized these spots. I had seen them somewhere before.

The last time I saw them was eight months ago at the onset of my last migraine.


I am such an idiot. I know better than to taunt the migraine gods by saying I hadn't had one in a long time. It is like saying the name of the bad thing that happens to ladies when they take antibiotics out loud.

I am not going to say it. I'm not even going to type it. In fact, I am going to try really hard not to even think about it, but the simple fact is that if I say those two little words I get one.

Every. Single. Time.

Whatever. I took some of my miracle cure medicine (It was legal. My doctor prescribed it.) and so far so good. I only have a very minor throb going.

And honestly, even though I wanted to quit when I started seeing spots, I think the exercise helped.

* Riverdance is what Devra and I call the exercise where you have to jump up and down and touch your toes (left then right then left etc.) to the center of the ball over and over. It is really reminiscent of Irish folk dancing.)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin Bookmark and Share