Monday, December 14, 2009

Some Things Taste as Good as Skinny Feels

This post was originally written for and posted on Sarah and the Goon Squad.

* * *

Recently Kate Moss told interviewer Brid Costello that one of her mottoes is "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels."

Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.kate_moss_gallery_25

My first reaction was to recite that to myself 800 times a day and see if it worked. I've been having a lot of trouble getting motivated to lose weight in the last couple of years. I thought maybe this would help.

Instead, it just made me realize how wrong she was. Here is a short list of reasons why Kate Moss is wrong.

  • beer

  • Doritos

  • Pringles sour cream and onion chips

  • bacon

  • bagels

  • a bloody mary

  • macaroni and cheese

  • foie gras

  • french fries

  • Anything from Five Guys

  • brownies

  • fresh strawberries

  • cheese steak

  • fried rice

  • burritos

  • beef stroganoff

  • wine

  • pizza

  • fried chicken


See? Those are just off the top of my head. I didn't even put any real thought in to that list. Just think if I had more time to expand!

Then I read this.
“Kate Moss’s comments are likely to cause many more. If you read any of the pro-anorexia websites, they go crazy for quotes like this.”

The slogan is adopted on various websites, including one called Starving For Control.

Green, 22, who is a size 12, added: “Millions of girls aspire to be like Kate Moss. These comments are shocking and irresponsible.”

Wait a second. Pro-Anorexia websites? There are multiple websites that support a disease?Kate Moss_BLK

What is this world coming to? Are there pro-polio websites? Are people hoping to successfully become alcoholics? Do we need websites to help us get sick?

Getting back to Kate's motto, maybe I'm not the best judge of what being skinny feels like. The last time I was truly "skinny" I was recovering from mono, so to me skinny feels like a really bad sore throat and dying. I'm sure it feels different to her. Maybe to her it feels like millions of dollars.

I have no personal reference to how millions of dollars feels, but I bet it is pretty awesome.

It just seems to me like in this day and age (the day and age where I just became my grandmother by using that phrase) where even France has banned runway models that are too skinny and young girls are dying every day from anorexia we could try to promote more healthy concepts than "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".

And in that top picture at least, skinny actually looks sort of painful.

I am trying to raise a daughter over here. I would love it if she can be spared the weight issues and self-esteem bullshit I have been dealing with since I was 12.

1 comment:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin Bookmark and Share